Dan,

Simple: "A method for outputting Java byte-codes equivalent to MetaCard scripts has been designed, but implementation has been delayed until the serious performance, compatibility, and functionality limitations in Java have been rectified."
http://www.metacard.com/pi5.html

Then, you can have a multiple export format, to java file, java applet, standalone for mac windows, linux, exactly the way they do here:
http://www.processing.org/
On top, that's free. Their GUI is limited but that's only version Beta. They announce a contribution from http://www.thbbpt.net/ interfascia/, to enhance their set of GUI elements. So you can expect it to improve in the future. I really invite you to have a try, that's a gem.

Alternatively, you can convert hypertalk to javascript: http:// lexnet.bravepages.com/HTMLJS.htm

Alternatively, you can convert it to a mix of xml and embedded script, compatible with one of these:
http://luxor-xul.sourceforge.net/
http://www.simkin.co.uk/

Or you can write an hypertalk interpreter in java: http:// boredgamer.org/HyperJava/. There is another guy with a version a lot more advanced than that (no, not freecard), but that's not on the web.

So many possibilities!

Marielle

Richard.....

I *certainly* don't disagree with your response, but I'm earnestly seeking a description of how you'd go about building an app in Rev that is entirely deliverable via a Web browser, which is, I submit, the definition of a Web
application. I think that was the original point/question. Creating
thin-client Web appliances is amazingly easy with Rev. Creating CGIs that run on a server -- including back-end database access -- is also feasible, if somewhat limited in terms of performance (no FCGI support as far as I
know).

If this is possible, I'd sure like to know how to do it.