I've hit this before. I generally postfix a cr like so:

put (the long id of fld "myField" of cd "myCard" of stack "myStack") & cr into tParam
  myHandler tParam

Then in myHandler:

on myHandler pID
  delete char -1 of pID -- ready to go now

or if it could be a list:

on myHandler pIDList
  repeat for each line tID in pIDList