On 23 Mar 2006, at 11:18, jbv wrote:

Hi list,

I'm using Rev cgi and have a problem debugging a script :
it's a (rather) complex subscription page to a website, with
a sophisticated form and javascript functions, and on the server
side a cgi with a mySQL connection.
Everything works fine except for 1 version of Safari. The agent
information for that version is :
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/312.8
(KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.6

in short, some elements of the HTML form are skipped when the
user clicks the submit button...
And to make things even more difficult (to reproduce and correct
the bug, or find a workaround), this seems to happen only
sporadically; i mean that using that specific version of Safari
doesn't systematically lead to the bug...

Coming late to this.

Are you sure the problem is with Safari and not at the CGI end? When you say some elements of the form are being skipped, what appears at the CGI end? Are some arbitrary form elements missing, or is it that the posted data is truncated? (I'm assuming the form is using POST and not GET. If not, you can ignore this?)

If it appears that the data is truncated, it may be the reading of the data in the CGI that is the problem. There is a known issue concerning reading from stdin in a cgi script if you just do this:

     read from stdin for $CONTENT_LENGTH

To be sure you get all the data, you need to do something like this:

      put empty into tBuf
      repeat while length(tBuf) < $CONTENT_LENGTH
        read from stdin for $CONTENT_LENGTH
        put it after tBuf
      end repeat

If you know all this, my apologies. But just in case you're looking in the wrong place.

Cheers
Dave