Ken Ray wrote:

[snip]
Is there a way to find out which scrollbar sent the message?

Well, you could store the current hScroll and vScroll values in a custom
property, and then when you get the scrollbarDrag message, compare the
hScroll and vScoll against the stored values. Whichever one changed is the
culprit. Then just make sure to set your custom properties to the new values
so you can check the next time...

I'm curious, though - why would you need to know which sent the message?

In my endeavor to make a routine for syntax highlighting for a HTML document in a field, I've tried various ideas. Initially I was scanning the entire document each time a change was made in the field, and this proved to be a very bad idea. I was also scanning the entire document when loading the html file, great for small files, but a very noticeable delay when trying to load a very large html file.

I have come up with what I think is a good routine for checking when a change is made in the field, so that's taken care of, but I had an idea earlier today about when loading the html file into the editor.

Instead of scanning the entire document on loading it, I want to scan only the text that is just below the view of the user. So as the user scrolls, I want to scan a few lines below the users view. This way it doesn't take a lot of time scanning and highlighting the entire document on initial loading, it only takes a microsecond to scan just below the view of the user. I have no problem coming up with the code to actually do this, but when I found out that I could not tell which scroll bar was at work, I couldn't move on.

I'll give your suggestion a try. Looks like Richard Gaskin has an idea also for this. So maybe between your suggestion and his I might be able to accomplish this :-)

Thanks a bunch,
-Garrett