I have an app which often displays a main window (stack) and a couple of palettes. There are tooltips associated with objects on the main screen and on the palettes. The browse tool is always in use, but nevertheless if I click on one of the palettes, then the tooltips in the main window don't appear until I click somewhere on this window: the palette tooltips are always available.

This doesn't seem to me to be expected behaviour - AFAIK, palettes shouldn't take the focus away from a 'toplevel' window. Can anyone say what I should be expecting here, and if the problem is as it seems, suggest a workaround?

(BTW the documentation doesn't mention this issue, and furthermore it's possible to infer from the docs that tooltips will work even on windows other than the frontmost one - although in reality, this isn't the case.)

TIA

Graham