On Apr 9, 2006, at 1:04 PM, Rob Cozens wrote:

Is it a bug that Parameter Setup didn't check for the existence of a COA when it opened? By my definition, "yes", even if the specs didn't call for it.

The thing is, this calls for common sense, but what is common sense if it isn't specified?

To give an extreme example, suppose I open Revolution and type the following into the message box:

2+2=

and press return. Is it a bug that Revolution doesn't put 4? Common sense would say what should happen, but that's not what the spec says.

Obviously this is an extreme example, but the question is where does the line get drawn?

The only way to be certain to make sure the spec is complete, and code to the spec. In the example above, the spec should be amended before the behavior is considered a bug. The rationale for this is clear: what _should_ happen? I agree that an infinite loop is a bad thing, but I don't know what the right thing to do is.

So no -- if the behavior doesn't violate the specs, I wouldn't call it a bug.

But I agree completely that common sense pertains, and the requirements need to be updated.

regards,

geoff