On Apr 10, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

Bob Warren wrote:

For example, I recently completed a pair of file/picture chooser widgets for Linux, which I offered to the Rev community. However, from the beginning of my programming effort I discovered that certain fundamental functions described in the Help had apparently not been implemented. For example, the function specialFolderPath. I did not manage to get any information whatsoever out of this function, different to my experience in Windows and different (I imagine) to what it would be in Mac. As a result I had to (temporarily?) direct my widgets for use in Ubuntu Linux rather than Linux generally - very serious.

Just to clarify, does specialFolderPath return the proper value under Ubuntu? Which constants work with it?

The docs don't mention Linux at all, while they do list the constants available for Classic, OS X, and Windows. So from the docs it's not clear whether specialFolderPath is expected to work at all right now under Linux.

If it works in one flavor of Linux but not others, while momentarily annoying it bodes well for the future, as it implies the effort was made for it to work on Linux but it simply has some bugs in the current release.

This is especially interesting to me, as I'm planning on my first Linux release later this year. I'll be watching Linux-related threads closely....

Last I checked, specialFolderPath does not work on Linux. I have not checked this out in 2.7 though. Maybe something has changed.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com