Garrett Hylltun wrote:

Alex Tweedly wrote:
My summary : If possible and practical, use TSV instead (tab separated values).

If it needs to be CVS, then find this thread in the archives. There's code in there to handle the more common cases, and there was some discussion on just how weird and varied the different versions of "csv" can be. If you want to skip the discussion and go straight to the code - see Richard Gaskin's posting in that thread on July 1st 2004

Greetings Alex,

Thanks for all the info. Yes, I'd prefer to simply use TAB delimited files since it's much easier to deal with in Rev, but I will still need to implement the ability to open and save COMMA delimited files too.

And it sounds like everything I need is in those threads, so thanks a bunch :-)

If you absolutely must support CSV, please consider joining a handful of us curmudgeons on a mission to save the world from the unnecessary horror that is CSV: support for reads, but not for writes.

The last thing the world needs is yet another app keeping that half-baked format alive. :)

It was a crappy idea when it was created (how did it even survive more than two minutes in the first meeting where it was proposed?), and it just gets more self-evidently crappy every year that passes with more and more variant implementations polluting the datasphere.

I have an app that reads CSV but will export only in tab-delimited format -- and it will use the most sensible form I've seen yet: FileMaker Pro's, in which in-data returns are gracefully accommodated as ASCII 11, and any quotes in the file are only part of the data, never a delimiter.

Not long ago I had an opportunity to help contribute to a specification for a format for affiliate data feeds, and at its heart it's the FMP tab format.

So we have several million FMP users, plus a few thousand affiliate marketers, and now your customers too. :)

Just as polio was once an epidemic so broad it was considered absurd to try to wipe it out, bit by bit we'll move forward toward a more sensible world where good people need no longer suffer from effects of CSV.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal