Hi group,

Almost every day at one point or another while editing a script or even
filling in an answer or ask dialog box the text entry slows to a crawl. I remedy
this by saving and restarting Revolution. What causes this and how do I avoid
it? I'm on Mac osx.

Joe
Orlando

I get that too.

After quite a bit of investigation, I've concluded the following:

--My machine is a little too slow for the modern world. (466 mhz G4)

--Some people on the list say they never encounter this issue. I'd guess they have faster machines.

--It's not just Rev. I get the same issue with Pages, for instance.

--OS X seems faster than OS 9 in some respects, slower in others. For example, I never noticed the tiniest typing lag in Microsoft Word -- the king of bloatware -- on the same machine in OS 9, yet the machine seems a little too slow for Pages in OS X.

--My machine shipped with a graphics card that is slow by modern standards. I got a faster graphics card at Otherworld Computing. That helped somewhat. Maybe it updates the screen faster, or maybe it just takes some of the load off the CPU.

--The typing delay gets worse when more applications and documents are open. Probably more RAM would help.

--This issue is inconvenient, but not an overwhelming obstacle to using RR on my machine. If I get sick of it, I'll add another 512 K of RAM before I do anything drastic. Personally, I hate to pay for hardware that's newer or faster than I really need.

Hope this helps.

Tim