I have multiple xml files that are identical in format...

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<StudentURL_table>
  <URL IDnum="1">
    <subject> Art</subject>
    <key_words> Fine Art</key_words>
    <Grade> 5</Grade>

They just have different <URL IDnum #> content. Such as...

 <URL IDnum="1">
    <subject> Art</subject>
    <key_words> Fine Art</key_words>
    <Grade> 5</Grade>
    <Standard> Creativity</Standard>
    <Title> SPARK Site</Title>
    <Description> This site is great for introducing students to the varied
definitions of fine art and expression.</Description>
    <Submitted_by> John Art</Submitted_by>
    <emailAddress> [EMAIL PROTECTED]</emailAddress>
    <school> Orchard School</school>
    <WebAddress> www.kqed.org/spark</WebAddress>
  </URL>
  <URL IDnum="2">
    <subject> Art</subject>
    <key_words> San Fracicso, Museum of Modern Art</key_words>
    <Grade> 5</Grade>
    <Standard> VAPA</Standard>

I want to take these multiple XML files and combine them into one large xml
file with the same format.

I was thinking I could do something like this:

 answer folder "Select XML folder" as sheet
  if it = "" then exit mouseUp
  set the defaultFolder to it

  put the files  into tFiles
  put the number of lines of tFiles into tNumberofXMLFiles
  put line 1 of tFiles into theFileName
  put URL ("file:" & theFileName) into tData

get revCreateXMLTree(tData,true,true,true)

put the result into targetXMLFile

put 1 into x
repeat tNumberOfXMLFiles

  revAppendXML targetXMLFile,"/StudentURL_table/",URL "file:" & line x of tFiles
  add 1 to x
  end repeat
--
Put revXMLText(targetXMLFile,,true)

end mouseUp

However, I appear to be misunderstanding what revAppendXML does, or how to use
it correctly.

I can't see any major problem with what you are doing, except possibly
for the specification of the parentNode for the revAppendXML command.
Try leaving out the /'s.

I would also recommend doing it in 2 stages: read the file into a
variable, then append the variable. e.g.

 put URL ("file:" & line x of tFiles) into tXMLdata
 revAppendXML targetXMLFile, "StudentURL_table", tXMLdata

I always surround the file stuff with brackets before using put or get
URL. It seems to be more reliable.

And after each XML command or function, check the result and see if it
contains "xmlerr".

HTH,
Sarah