At 11:29 AM +0100 5/29/06, Dave Cragg wrote:

On 29 May 2006, at 10:14, sims wrote:

When using base64Decode it seems that the '=' or '==' chars
at the end of a base64Encoded string are inconsequential. It
seems to make no difference if one '=', two '==' or none are at the
end of the string being decoded.

Is it safe to assume that any ending equal signs in a base64Encoded
string do not have to be in that string when I decode it?

I've seen at least one base64 decode function (not Rev) where stripping a final "=" does affect the output. So, without official sanction from RunRev, I'd be wary of assuming the way Rev handles incomplete encoded strings will remain the same in future versions.

But I take it you have a reason you want to drop the "=" characters. Otherwise, why bother?

Yup...there is a reason.

I'll rephrase the question: there seems to be either 1 or 2 equal signs placed
at the end of a base64Encoded string. If I display it without any equal signs
but add a single equal sign when I decode the string, would I be safe?

[The "=" seems to be an item which indicates the end of a base64 string.]

iow - does it make any difference if there is 1 or 2 equal signs at the end?
With strings I've tested here it doesn't seem to make a difference.

ciao,
sims

European Rev Conference  2006
www.techietours.com