Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:

I know almost nothing about the 'nixes, but it seems to me that a script
could calculate most of these using the globals that are automatically
loaded when Rev starts up. All (or many? Not sure) of the standards are
there and can be used in any script; i.e., $USR, $HOME, $PATH, etc.
Maybe these can be used to calculate the necessary paths?

For example: $USER/Desktop/
Or: $HOME/.MyApp/

Here are the globals given by Rev under Ubuntu (Gnome) Linux:

$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-WiBK3s8pAR,guid=23217b440bef325962f5e40a61735d00
$DESKTOP_SESSION                default
$DISPLAY                        :0.0
$GDM_XSERVER_LOCATION           local
$GDMSESSION                     default
$GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID       Default
$GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET           /tmp/keyring-hjWXCj/socket
$GTK_RC_FILES                   /etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/bob/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
$HOME                           /home/bob
$LANG                           en_AU.UTF-8
$LANGUAGE                       en_AU:en_US:en_GB:en
$LOGNAME                        bob
$PATH /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
$PWD                            /home/bob
$SESSION_MANAGER                local/bob-desktop:/tmp/.ICE-unix/4709
$SHELL                          /bin/bash
$SHLVL                          0
$SSH_AGENT_PID                  4751
$SSH_AUTH_SOCK                  /tmp/ssh-ThYkAa4709/agent.4709
$USER                           bob
$USERNAME                       bob

Obviously, $HOME, $USER and $USERNAME are useful since they give the user's name. How much of the rest could be calculated under different Linux distros is hard (for me) to say.
Rishi Viner wrote:

All Linux flavors should have su! They will also all have sudo if it is
installed (it is an application on its own). If sudo is not there it would be unusual and certainly very easy for the user to install, as long as they have the root password etc to set it up.
Yes, but in order to be able to automate sudo through Rev, you need to able to find sudo in the file system in the first place. Also, to be able to achieve certain things through sudo, the automation routine would have to be in possession of the root password - hardly practical.

Is that right in your opinion, or have I missed the point here?

Bob