Checkboxes are a pain to implement in a scrolling field. And users are presented with a bewildering array of checkboxes.

Why don't you just have the number of checkboxes you need for one line off to the side or top of a scrolling field. They could set the delimited data line selection to one's or checkmarks (in the line) without having to implement check boxes on each line.

In other words, the list, when clicked, would put the data on that selection line into one special line of checkboxes and fields for data entry and an 'enter' button, which then puts the data back on the selection line.

THis is the classic 'list' and 'detail' views of a database.

A popup menu or menus can also be used to alter data in a line.

I asked:
======

I'm writing a program that will eventually create a tabbed line, multiple lines
in a field.

Is there any way I can display each line (or a subsection thereof) and place
beside it a series of check boxes or pull down boxes.

peptide 1 1234.5  [chk1]  [..]   [..]  pulldowncolour  pulldownstyle
peptide 2 2334.5  [chk2]  [..]   [..]  pulldowncolour  pulldownstyle

Say I was drawing a graphic controlled by the list, and I wanted to use check
boxes to say "display this" or "Colour this red/green/blue (pulldown)". I have
tried to think this through, but I can't see an easy way at all. The number of
items in the list are such as to require that I can scroll through the items.

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o