Hi Greg

Warning: I am a hobbyist at best, and haven't done any actual work with robotics. However i wanted to do a remote controlled vehicle once, and have sampled some information on rs232 due to that.

I am not sure how many "datalines" you need (the number of sensors you want to poll + the number of motors you want to steer) If the number is less or equal 8 then you could use a serial to parallel interface, like described on this page: http://www.beyondlogic.org/serial/serial2.htm

I never got to do it, because i couldn't get all the parts, as the schematic seems to be highly outdated, but the principle should be doable. You might as a soldering guru how to do that correctly.

What you do is talk via the serial port with 8 bit code, which then gets translated into 8 single digital lines. for example if you send an "a", you actually send "10000110" (or "01100001" i always confuse the order) so these 3 lines will get power (5v), each of which you can then use to steer a motor. The same is true in reverse for reading data off the port.

Also a warning at the end: For real time application i _guess_ that Rev/MC is not ideal, due to the way polling is set up. Basically the whole thing can be blocked by a processor intensive task or other means. For example on Mac OS X, no "send in x minutes" messages get send as long as you drag the rev window around.

if you have further questions  join chatrev and we discuss it...

greetings
Bjoernke