I'm going to ask some dumb questions, I am still fuzzy on paths and some basic variable issues:

After this:

    answer file "locate the .htm file for me please" as sheet
    put it into htmPathFile

if i put:

    put URL "file:" & htmPathFile into fld "htm"

this results in the path & filename going in the field, not the contents of the file.

----

2.

but this:

    put "file:" & htmPathFile into tFile
    put URL tFile into fld "htm"

results in the actual text content of that file being put in.

----

I don't understand why they are different?!?