Also make sure you're not using "put" with a custom property.

I had:

put "someting" into the cpCustomProperty of card "Some Card"

and I would get the "cannot create variable" error. FINALLY I realized I needed to use set with a custom property:

set  the cpCustomProperty of card "Some Card" to "something"

Doh! It seems the compiler/syntax checker could produce a more helpful error message in this case...