GregSmith wrote:

So, for the Revolution author who wants to take advantage of all of the
authoring prowess of Revolution, yet wants to also enjoy the added benefit
of regular sales transactions  he or she might be best served by a
compromise in the form of a standard browser plug-in, which fully displays
all of the functionality of a Revolution stack

Check the list archives. :) The short form is that the browser plugin wars were won by Macromedia more than half a decade ago. If you need Flash it's not expensive and there are a great many templates, courseware packages, etc.

The issue with making yet-another-browser-plugin is that while bean counters like how it reads on paper, users and their IT staff quickly learn that it's no different from a custom browser: they still need to download and install some engine to drive it all.

Only Flash is pre-installed -- a good route to go with if you need the in-browser experience.

. . . or, better yet, a translator which exports the fully
functional Revolution stack into a format
like Flash or QuickTime.

Or even Java, which may be a closer fit in a lot of ways, and there's a lot of example code on generating byte code.

Yeah, I'd like this option for some things. There may even be a feature request filed in Bugzilla for this. I wonder how many votes it's gotten.

In the meantime, for Web deployment it's hard to beat Flash, just as for desktop applications it's hard to beat Rev. I suppose it'd be ideal to have one tool that does everything optimally, but since both tools are pretty cheap and (at least in my work) it's rare that I'd want to make the same thing for web deployment and as a desktop app, maybe two tools isn't a deal breaker for either.....

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal