Bill,

I think Chipp meant the future of <applications based on web browser containers> is Ajax and the DOM.

We keep coding in transcript for the following reasons:

* Revolution native interface provides better user experience than browser based interfaces. * Revolution native applications have more features than it's browser based cousins. * Revolution apps will work away from an internet pipe, try that with an online app. * No way in this earth that a browser based app will ever be able to launch a 100 megabytes document to work with... not matter how clever your ajax skills are.

Ajax is nothing new. Ajax is simply a hack. Ajax is on the client browser side, on the server side you can have Rev, Ruby, Rebol or your favorite language (even if it starts with another letter than R). Ajax is not here to replace desktop apps. For some things it makes sense to have a online web based experience, for example, Conference Web Pages, someone organizing a conference would be happy to be able to code a little thing in Rev for the conference users to register/login and see conference features. No one is thinking about having a web based photoshop editor able to handle RAW format files...

it all depends on what you're trying to build...

A friend of mine is on the operating system business and will not use anything but C/C++ and he is right (gosh, never though I'd speak good of C...), I am on the network appliances business so I code in transcript because it enables me to build desktop apps that are network savvy, some other guy might be on the Web Shopping Cart wars using RoR+Ajax. We would all be correct and no one could call its option, the future.

Latelly, this list is mixing apples and epiletic porpoises.

Not all computer languages and computer authoring tools are made to do the same job. People keep comparing Rev to Flash to AJAX... They are very different things made to do different stuff. We can't compare them, it's like saying Photoshop is better than MS SQL Server because it has a better looking splash screen, it makes no sense.

AJAX is Asynchronous Javascript + XML, what does that means? Till now, everytime your web app wanted to do something it needed to do a roundtrip to the server and refresh everything. Think of an airplane full of cargo and that everytime you want to move some message package arround you'd load and unload the whole airplane in both destinations. This takes time and effort. Now imagine that AJAX is just a super clever flock of strong pigeons, you can have how many pigeons you want. Everytime you need to send messages around, you'll just dispatch a new pigeon to roundtrip with your message, no need to load and reload everything, just launch your pigeons as your needs arrive. It's fast, it's cheap and its asynchronous because while some poor pigeon might be carrying a very heavy message that will take eons to be read and understood, the other pigeons might be carrying quick messages so your business is never stopped while the airplane business is forever waiting for the baggage carrousels to start so that they might then see the mail packages...

I don't know if this is a clear comparision but I've been thinking a lot about airplanes later.

The thing is, AJAX exists inside a browser, inside a web page, it's just some fancy javascript code that will breed and dispatch pigeons as needed. On the server side you might have anything you want including Rev. They are not competting technologies, actually they might complete each other. You can have your business logic code in transcript on a server CGI easy to mantain and update and have your clients with a nice browser GUI that is very responsive by using AJAX skills...

I'l put some pages online about that...

andre