Dave Cragg wrote:

On 9 Aug 2006, at 11:36, Dar Scott wrote:

I give up.  You guys are right.  The htmlText renders HTML.

I think you might be accused of twisting people's words again. :-) The above description suggests that it renders html well. I didn't see anybody making that claim.

Better perhaps...

  The htmlText renders html kinda.

Cheers
Dave

I'm at a loose end, let's waste a bit more bandwidth...

My take here is that the fact that the htmltext does as you say above "renders html kinda." is a side-effect of its true purpose. I see its purpose as to allow access to RR field text formatting information in a text-only form that can be readily understood, stored and manipulated. This is a more user-friendly alternative to a binary stylerun for instance. A pseudo-html syntax was adopted to implement this, which has the side-effect that some html can be rendered in an RR field "kinda".

I agree with others that the name of the property probably misleads more often than it explains.

Martin Baxter