On Aug 24, 2006, at 4:18 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

I wonder
how long it will be before we get "AT&T Pluto" or "Halliburton Ceres".

Company names are always changing, too. Here in the US, many large corporations are being bought out by companies from overseas, a consequence, in part, of the high government deficit in the US. Name changes with education campaigns follow.

Here in New Mexico supermarkets went through a soap opera frenzy of buying, selling, merging, selling off, so that in a few months a few years back almost all supermarkets I knew changed names and some within a few blocks of each other ended up swapping names. (For all I know that happened nation wide or world wide.) Here it was more than a name change; I learned that district leadership and national management really does make a difference.

...and there's a town in Japan that got renamed Toyota.

In New Mexico, over a half century ago, the town of Hot Springs New Mexico (often spelled without the comma and always said with the state name) changed its name to Truth or Consequences after the TV show. It never changed it back.

Dar