I'm also not enamored with the article itself, but was just interested that it spawned some sub-threads of discussion on what exactly IS a good programming language for beginners. that's where Rev is relevant - to the growing SlashDot discussion, not to the Salon.com article.

FWIW,
Brian

I thought about that but it's not a direct answer to the author's concern.
He says line coding allows a beginner to create and trace algorithmic
execution and doesn't require use of UI componentry. I think he misses the
point a bit with that qualifier, but then that's probably just me.