Roger.E.Eller wrote:

On Sep 24, 2006, at 7:37 PM, Chip Walters wrote:
Perhaps it's time for Galaxy to consider becoming like MetaCard, a
complete seperate IDE for the Rev engine.

If Galaxy produced a commercial IDE replacement, wouldn't that be in violation of the prime directive? I mean, I remember way back, reading in the license agreement that you can create anything you wish with Revolution EXCEPT software that directly competes with RunTime and its IDE.

Actually it's the opposite: an IDE is just a collection of stacks, but all stacks need the engine to run, and need a licensed engine to edit scripts.

So regardless of whether the Rev IDE is running, you still need a Rev license to edit scripts.

That's the beauty of it: RunRev can watch a thousand flowers bloom (as Scott Raney used to say), and still all roads lead back to Rev.

Any third-party IDE must rely on a Rev sale to be operational. A win-win-win for all....

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal