Dave Cragg wrote:
The stack doesn't have to be open before you "start using" it. You can "start using" a stack directly with a file reference. (start using stack "libsFolder/myLib.rev") When you start using a stack, it's open in the sense that it is loaded into memory. But it doesn't receive any openstack/opencard messages. Also, it isn't visible, but it can be made visible in the normal way. (show stack "myLibrary")

But there is one odd anomaly worth noting, and unfortunately my BZ request is unlocatable now (purged?) so I have to reproduce the discussion here:

There is a conflict between the "close" command and the "stop using" command with regard to stacks which have their destroyStack property set to true.

Everything you say above applies, but if your library has its destroyStack set to true and you open it to work on it, as long as it's open it's still in the message path but once you close the stack it also gets pulled from memory, and hence from the stacksInUse queue.

The question for the designer of the engine is whether "close" should also mean "...and remove from stacksInUse", or whether "close" should simply mean "close" and continue honoring the stacksInUse until a "stop using" command is issued.

For myself, the choice seems clear enough in favor of the latter, esp. given that the independence of "open"/"close" from "start using"/"stop using" is already well established by being able to insert stacks in the message path without needing to open them.

So my BZ request was to complete the separation of the two sets of actions by also allowing a stack to be closed without altering its place in the stacksInUse.

If others here agree I'll reinstate my BZ request.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal