On Oct 8, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Bridger Maxwell wrote:

So we have various buttons and
controls, and everything else is black. I wanted to add hilites to all the black that is already there, without redoing all the images and opening them in Photoshop to make the black transparent. What I would like to do is add an image over the top of everything that is the hilites, but only shows up when the pixel is completely black. That way I could add a cool effect,
without redoing the whole interface.

I guess you could put an image between the black background and everything else.

I guess the problem with that is that you have black instead of transparent in some of your controls.

The best method is to do what you were trying to avoid. Fix the controls so they can go on a variety of backgrounds. With the style you are looking for you don't need transparent shadows and such, so after a little experimenting to get smooth edges that should go fast. This will give you the most flexibility, too.

I don't know of any way to do color keying with inks. You might try an ink that affects black more than others, such as blendScreen using black with greyish highlights. That might put a little highlight on your darker controls, but that may not be so bad.

Hmmm, you might want to tinker with other ink. Maybe it would work to put some blend over the whole thing.

Here is a problem: If you put an image over all of your controls, how do you use the controls? I have reversed the order and used ink blendDestOver to handle this, but not in combination with blendScreen. You might have to experiment a little.

Dar