On Sun Oct 8, Kevin Miller <kevin at runrev.com> in a mutilated response to an unknown request with subject "no subject" wrote:

Pattern images can be color or black-and-white. To be used on Mac OS
systems, patterns must be 128x128 pixels or less, and both its height and
width must be a power of 2. To be used on Windows and Unix systems, height
and width must be divisible by 8.

Does that explain it?

Kevin

At first I thought Kevin was somehow referring to icons (?), but the docs state the same for images as backpatterns:

Cross-platform note: To be used as a pattern on Mac OS systems, an image must be 128x128 pixels or less, and both its height and width must be a power of 2. To be used on Windows and Unix systems, height and width must be divisible by 8. To be used as a fully cross-platform pattern, both an image's dimensions should be one of 8, 16, 32, 64, or 128.

Well, seems to me that an obsolete state of things is being described here.

Presently I am experimenting with an add-on to my "Imagedata Toolkit" that creates "seamless tiles" of various sizes and 3 different algorithms (with 5 options each for the overlapping areas) to create the tiles. A test button shows the resulting pattern in whole-screen preview.

I experience no limitations so far on MacOS and on Windows concerning the size of the images or constraints of divisibility. Backpattern images can be of a size of 500X300 pixels - or *any* other size - on MacOS and Windows and can have indivisible ratios for example of 151 X 259!

So I am wondering to what Kevin is referring?

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>