So, what should one do? I guess the options are to use "Application Support"
On the Mac and some such similar special directory on Windows.
If I'm right, then what is it?

What we need is the standard, "for-sure-to-work"
location for saving the file to, such that it can be
successfully written, immediately, by script control
 without prompting  the user to pick a directory and name the file.
i.e. the default "guaranteed for-sure-exists and is read -- write" directories
for each platform.

Hello Katirswami,
I'm not sure if this already has been suggested to you, but did you try specialFolderPath(26)? This saves to "C:/Documents and Settings/ MyUserId/Application Data/" which usually is open.

Signe Marie Sanne