On Oct 14, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

  Just tried to find "executionContexts" in the
documentation for DC 2.6.1 and RRMedia 2.7.2 and found
nothing.

I wonder why there seems to be some resistance to
documenting these things?

I try to refrain from insisting somebody gives me something that I didn't buy.

As a product Revolution does NOT have executionContexts except maybe as a reserved word of some sort. This is not an underdocumented feature of the product. I did not buy executioncontexts.

It is a feature of the engine in some sense. It is used by at least one library and maybe the IDE, but those are RunRev intramural. By the use being intramural, RunRev can tweak the behavior as needed without legacy concerns.

Given that, things get muddy. Bugzilla 1242 is an enhancement to make exectionContexts a feature. It is one of only 21 enhancement suggestions that have been marked not-a-bug. Some of the discussion was related to the ability to make callbacks in the same style as the sockets capability. That has been specifically requested in bz 1954 (and 2839) with the suggestion that a new function be added. This function could be built out of executionContexts (even if the bug I mentioned is fixed), but it would be based on something that might go away in the future, so I'm hesitant to do that for deliverables. The executionContexts could also be handy in throwing something that looks just like engine error or rethrowing an engine error so that it looks just like it was never caught (see bz 3757). These commands built on executionContexts, too, would be based on a nonfeature. Providing these more specific functions and commands would make blessing executionContexts less important, but I'm sure others would come up with uses I have not mentioned.

Some future version could potentially make that a supported feature. That would have a cost for RunRev. It would have to be documented. It then would receive bugzilla submissions, such as one for the bug I mentioned earlier. There would be the cost of support in explaining to use that we are using it wrong. It would also mean that if they need some variation, they would have to build a new private property or function.

Dar