On Oct 15, 2006, at 10:14 AM, Jerry Daniels wrote:

Is your first name "Dar" or is that an abbreviation (abbrev) for something else?

Both! My birth certificate says "Darwin" and I use that in formal signatures.

The dual name is a tradition my parents borrowed from my namesake who introduced them. The dual name is like a nickname with a formal name. The name Dar means "oak" and the name Darwin means "beloved friend" (or lover of the sea), so the pair is a reminder that a dear friend is steadfast, a reminder I can use. The history of the name gets wrapped up with pearl and Mary somehow.

One of my sons got a couple degrees in biology and while going to school for that he would introduce me to his profs by saying "And this is my father, Darwin". Unlike Chuck, my focus is on Revolution rather than evolution.

So, with that duality I might be inspired to see both 'cd' and 'card' as alternate spellings of card. I intend to be accepting of 'cd' but it might take a while to start typing 'cd'. Since we all know I'm not a real card-head, I don't have a strong social pressure to do so.

So, my question to all, since it seems to be OK and even "in" to use abbreviations, how about for examples on this list where newbies read scripts? Should those be spelled out or should newbies learn to read abbrev early? (The word "should" should be read in the most generous sense in all places.)

Slightly related: I sometimes use f(x) instead of 'the f of x' where I think it is more readable, especially within a more math-like expression. I sometimes use temporary variables for documentation and to avoid multiline statements, though my natural tendency is to write a single return (perhaps multiple lines) for some function definitions. The latter are often shorter, but only Andre can read them.

Less related:  Of course abbreviations are right for script compressors.

Oh, and here is one Andre might understand, "cd" looks like "cdr" to me, an "abbreviation" for "first". It gets typed cud or fcd or cdar when I'm typing fast. (I suspect there is a lot of sloshing from one neuron to another in my brain or ganglia).

Dar