On Oct 20, 2006, at 4:49 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

I am insanely pleased with myself for having come up with a function to calculate the distance between two points,

That will work, and Bill's comments will make it improved. (I have not received his mail, still in Carnivore I assume, but I have seen your reply.)

The most time consuming part is the square root. So, if you only need to _compare_ distances (as in this point A is closer to point B than point C is), then compare without the square root.

Dar