Confirmed here: I'm getting good results with MPEG4 on both platforms.
It *does* require WMP v9, so Windows upgrade laggards will be your problem.

Luis wrote:
Well MPEG-4 should work across the board with recent releases of QT (v7) and WMP (v9).
MPEG-2 will get you DVD quality, whereas MPEG-4 has been aimed at HDTV.
Another option is DivX, the players for both are free and to encode DivX you need DivX Pro, which is about $20, although I don't know what the situation is with branding, distributing and suchlike.

Cheers,

Luis.