John: your idea of using a cron is excellent I would probably just have
Revolution write directly to cron (as I have this already set up...)
and pass the parameter along with it. Though i think I will use this for
other tasks, not this one. But that's definitely a keeper.

Sarah: I'll try using your method first, why don't
you use "send in 1 second until the file is not empty" or something like
that, instead of a repeat loop with wait?

BTW: from man sh, "REDIRECTION" Section
The mysterious part.. still archane, but there's a touch of light here.
and lots of other stuff in man sh, if you have the stomach for bash.

=========
Note  that  the order of redirections is significant.  For example, the
       command
              ls > dirlist 2>&1
       directs both standard output and standard error to  the  file
dirlist,
       while the command

  ls 2>&1 > dirlist

       directs  only the standard output to file dirlist, because the
standard
       error was duplicated as standard output before the standard
output  was
       redirected to dirlist.
=========

Sivakatirswami