Mark Smith wrote:
Do you really need to do it with MatchText? Aren't <is in, is among the words of> etc going to work? Or do you really need it to be a one-liner?

Best,

Mark

ps. That's the third one ;-0

Yeah, I noticed that, and I'm not sure how it happened. I only sent one, then waited an hour or so. Then I changed the outgoing server I was using and sent again. Then three of them showed up. I didn't do it! ;)

Anyway, thanks to Ken, Eric, and yourself for the suggestions. I probably didn't explain enough. If I were only checking a single block of text then I'd use some of the built-in commands, but I have to loop through a couple of zillion blocks. So I figured matchtext would be faster if, hopefully, I could issue a single command for each lookup. If I have to do multiple lookups for each text block, then I end up with:

if "dinosaur" is in tText and "dog" is in tText and "cat" is in tText

and that would require 3 times the number of lookups over a single matchtext. Also, the number of words can vary so I'd have to construct a repeat loop to build the command itself, and use a "do" statement to execute it -- and both of those are slow. But if I'm wrong, I'd like to know. Has anyone done any speed tests on this stuff?

Basically I need the fastest possible way to scan a large number of text blocks for an indefinite number of words which occur in any portion of the text.

I'll try Ken's thing too -- thanks Ken.

(I'll send this once and cross my fingers.)
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]