Josh Mellicker asked:

What is your vote?

1
2
3
4
5. none of the above

6: The application is installed with everything it needs to run. Updates can come in over the wire later, but once the installer has run it's ready to go, right then and there. You'd be surprised how many folks download installers and run them later, and later might be on a train or a plane or a spaceship to Mars. Why punish the affluent traveling customer when you could be catering to that desirable demographic instead, for the low cost of a convenient experience for everyone else.

When updates are checked, all user interface elements are able to be updated. The splash screen is a user interface element, and as subject to change as anything else, so the only thing in the standalone is an error dialog which no one should ever see unless Something Very Bad happens during install, in which case the user won't be able to see anything other than the first card of the mainstack anyway -- might as well make it count. If boot goes well I can hide that and move on to load the rest of the components. No UI in the standalone means all UI can be updated.

I guess if this needs a name we could call it "Complete Install with Anchor Stack".

I'm sure there's a 7, 8, 43, 1544, and more, but #6 is just what I do.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation