Now about the issue of dynamic WAN IPs. There are a few services you can
sign up with for free that act sort of like a DNS service for private
routers. They allow you to log in to an account name instead of an IP
number, and will re-route the name to the current WAN IP of your home
router. Every time your ISP changes the number, your router informs the
service and they update the routing info. Most routers these days
support this stuff, I think. My Netgear router supports any of three of
these services, one of which is dyndns.org, which is what I will
probably use. Once you sign up, you just set your router to notify the
service at every IP change.

I use dyndns and fine it very satisfactory but be very careful about
using your router to update it for you. I tried this using a Netgear
router and got blacklisted for submitting changes every few minutes.
Go to the dyndns site and find a client. For Mac OS X DNSUpdate works
flawlessly and unobtrusively.

Cheers,
Sarah