On Jan 18, 2007, at 9:48 AM, Devin Asay wrote:

On Jan 18, 2007, at 2:32 AM, Peter Alcibiades wrote:

Feels like a very silly question, but it is stumping me.

How do I use 'find' to find '4' when it occurs by itself but not 4 when it
occurs in '4.1', when searching the contents of a field?

I have a field with tab separated values in the form

1       1234
2       2.56
3       4.1
4       9.274

and I want to find only that line in which there is a match of the inputted string with the first item. The first item will always be a unique value. So I want in some way to do a find on 4 that will pick up only line 4, and
not the occurrence of 4 in line 3.

Find word doesn't seem to work, because presumably Rev sees the '.' as a word limiter. Whereas in fact, its a decimal.... Find string in item 1 doesn't
work either.   In fact, none of the parameters on find seem to work.

Peter,

Find is probably not the best choice in this case. I would use the lineOffset function and look for 4 & tab, like this:

put lineOffset(4 & tab,fld "thevalues") into tLineFound

And I would add to that to precede the number to search for with a CR just to be on the safe side:

  put lineOffset(CR & 4 & tab,CR & fld "thevalues") into tLineFound

This way, suppose you had a series of values where some lines may be skipped and you want to know if a line *was* skipped; something like:

1       1234
2       2.56
3       4.1
9       8.35
14      9.274
18      20.121

WIthout the "CR" in there, you would match the line starting with 14 if you just looked for ("4" & tab), but you wouldn't match it if you look for (CR & "4" & tab). Note that it is very important that you include the preceding CR with the list to find as well, otherwise your lineoffset will be off. So it can't be:

  lineOffset(CR & 4 & tab,fld "thevalues")

but must be

  lineOffset(CR & 4 & tab,CR & fld "thevalues")

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/