On Jan 18, 2007, at 12:13 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

sims wrote:
At 8:48 PM -0800 1/17/07, Richard Gaskin wrote:
You mean Apple provides no way for any scripting language to request authorization on its own? Not even AppleScript?
For the dialog use AppleScript:
do shell script "command" with administrator privileges
To pass other items use:
do shell script "command" user name "me" password "mypassword" with administrator privileges

I'm having trouble with this. I do get the official Apple password dialog, but can't execute a command.

I want to change permissions on a folder. This script fails with "execution error":

put "chmod 777 /Library/Application Support/myfolder/" into tShellCmd
put "do shell script" &&quote& tShellCmd &quote&& "with administrator privileges" into tCmd
  do tCmd as applescript
  put the result

So I figured I needed to escape the space. When I do that, this script fails with "compiler error":

put "chmod 777 /Library/Application\ Support/myfolder/" into tShellCmd
put "do shell script" &&quote& tShellCmd &quote&& "with administrator privileges" into tCmd
  do tCmd as applescript
  put the result

Jacque, you needt to escape the backslash because AppleScript uses that for its own purposes. Try this:

put "chmod 777 /Library/Application\\ Support/myfolder/" into tShellCmd put "do shell script" &&quote& tShellCmd &quote&& "with administrator privileges" into tCmd
  do tCmd as applescript
  put the result

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.