Thanks for the responses. I haven't had a chance to sit down and try the solutions yet, but between the HTML entity code and the Symbols font I should be able to make it work. Thanks Devin and Ken. Jeanne, to answer your question, the infinity sign is placed in a field when the user hits the space bar, so I handle the MouseDown message to insert it. The same field has to be able to handle numbers as well. I've got three fields for user input (via key capture first) and two static fields that combine to show the range or domain of a function: 43 < x < 144. A very preliminary attempt to use the Symbol font made an infinity that was too small and too low to look good in the math expression, but I can massage that with TextShift and TextSize.

Rather than scripting font, size, and shift changes to the field, and then back again every time the user types infinity, I might be able to achieve the same effect by putting a permanent infinity behind the field, and hiding the field if the user types the space bar. Hm... You guys (and gals) are a great help! Even if I don't end up using your solutions directly, they cause me to eventually solve the problem one way or another. I love this list.

Thanks again,
                Mark