Hi Ryno,

Has anybody here developed a whiteboard application

I have, for a client. And I went to BETT as well. I came back with loads of demo CD, information, and contacts of distributors of whiteboard software interested in having freelance developers contributing software for them.

In fact, a whiteboard application is very simply put a normal application. The only difference is that mouse movements don't work. Well, you use a pen and only mousedown and mouseup movements get detected. You can't detect the movement when the pen is, well, not in contact with the whiteboard. You also have to have zones of detection that are larger than in normal applications (I can give you the precise information, but something that corresponds to about 5cm on the whiteboard).

For the rest, you don't really have to take care of the annotation, draw shaping, etc. This is taken care of by the software sold with the whiteboard. What this software does is make a toolbar available to the end user, that appears comes on top of the application you write.

Two popular products in the UK are :
Promethean <http://www.prometheanworld.com/uk/>
Smart Board <http://smarttech.com/>

What I was told at BETT is that in the UK, 50% of the schools now have whiteboards. 25% in each single class. 25% in some classes. Often, they mix the two products above. To "project" on the whiteboard, teachers use a laptop (PC) connected in permanence to the web. Web connectivity in schools is now said to be highly reliable in schools.

Do list members know about the situation in other countries?

Marielle

Has anybody here developed a whiteboard application? Is anybody keen to
do so? Or willing to guide me through the process? I can get
schoolchildren involved.

What I am thinking of is something like this:

A chat application PLUS a window in which, to start with, the various
members of the chat can draw in black line and type in text, in turn or
simultaneously.

(If simultaneously a split-screen window would be an option, "click
here to save this board").

It would be wonderful for collaborative work, such as building a
whiteboard application: )

Ryno.

Marielle Lange (PhD),  http://widged.com
Bite-size Applications for Education