An alternative would be to use a system similar to what Sourceforge uses, where the Reply To address is [EMAIL PROTECTED] in all emails, and the senders email address is munged noreply@(I think it's the mail server).sourceforge.net.

Mind you, this is their Forum based system, so it wouldn't behave like this list.

In any case, for RunRev to have a similar functionality and maintain the mail list as it is (ie: Not Forum based, so the Reply To would remain as it is) all they'd need to do is knock out the From field when sending out the list messages. This sill remove any email address harvesting.

Cheers,

Luis.

Richmond Mathewson wrote:
I don't know how this can be the list as such.

1. Anybody, whether a member or not, can read any
message on the use-list and see any contributor's
e-mail address loud and clear to the top of the page.

anybody who wants to send you messages about their
millions squirreled away in Swiss bank-accounts from
Nigerian uncles only has to look at the use-list to
find you! Spam-bots may not manage it; mind-you, I'm
sure any half-competent programmer can knock together
something to harvest the use-list in an hour or so.

so 'security' ain't in it. And, everybody knows that
as soon as you jump in the river you will get wet -
even dry-suits leak, a bit.

2. I have been using my current e-mail address to send
to the use-list for six months, I used a previous
address (on-and-off !!!!!!!) for the same purpose for
about 4 years. I have never received any more SPAM
addresses since I started to use this address with the
RR use-list.

3. I have started changing my e-mail address about
once a year, because sometime about the 9-month stage
(which, if you think a minute, is the normal
incubation period) all my Nigerian relatives start
contacting me with tempting offers.

Don't blame the RR use-list; rather, blame yourself
for being so 'foolish' as to have a computer connected
to the internet at all!

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

Save the last dance for me, and don't slip in the dogs mess on the way over to take my hand.