Joe, allowInterrupts is a global (and persistent, I think) property of the IDE (which defaults to "true", in 2.7.4 at least).

As long is it is set to "true" you should be able to interrupt a runaway loop by holding command - period (Mac) or control - period (Windows).

There was a version (2.7.2?) which wrongly defaulted to "false", and before I realised what was going on, I just got into the habit of putting

if the controlKey is down then exit repeat
inside every loop, until I was sure the loop was ok.

The cmnd/cntrl period should work, though.

Best,

Mark