With all the DPI, PPI, and LPI we forgot the beloved twips. Fortunately there's little to learn at the moment on that since they're going away:
<http://visualbasic.about.com/cs/visualbasicfaq/a/dykpixeltwip.htm>
We'll miss them. :)

Resolution independence is a big hairy mess. Useful, but a mess just the same. During this transition we can expect it to be almost as complicating as Unicode considering the breadth of its scope and the ever-increasing range of display devises. Heck, with just the Macs in my office I have three different PPIs at play.

Apple has some UI notes on resolution independence:
<http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/GraphicsImaging/RN-ResolutionIndependentUI/>

The upside is that for the long term it seems we'll eventually need some sort of scaling factor built in to handle all of the vectors throughout the engine, and once that's done it should be a snap to extend that to allow us to build zoom-in/zoom-out features into any of our apps.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation