On 1 Mar 2007, at 15:16, Dave wrote:

Yes, that's what I thought, so:

delete global myArray[17]

does not delete the 17th element, unless the key "17" just happens to the 17th element. The documentation is confusing on this point. Also the whole name "Array" for this datatype is confusing, a better name would be "table", since it doesn't behave like an array at all.

I agree this can be confusing. I haven't read the documentation recently, but I remember being caught out in the past when the docs implied that arrays could have "numerical" keys. I was under the impresson that deleting a key from such an array would re-order the key numbering, but, of course, it didn't.

I wouldn't like to get into a discussion about whether this is a "proper" array. The term "associative array" is pretty widely used, and it's an extremely useful tool. It would be nice to have standard arrays too, I guess, but if we can only have one type, I'll vote for what we have now.

Cheers
Dave