I just don't get it, you take the Unix "move" command, call it "rename" and then stop it working like "move".

That doesn't seem to be the case. Revolution's rename command (which doesn't exist in unix) is mapped to the mv command (which does) and uses the first form, which is also the default form. I see below that there are several flags which affect whether the mv command will prompt before overwriting a file. I assume that to keep things simple, MetaCard used no flags in its interpretation of the mv command and assumed the developer would handle fie duplicates in scripts.

May be the relation of renaming to mv makes more sense if one realizes that renaming files in Unix is done using the mv, yes, the move command.

It makes as much sense as using rename to move ;-)

I gather the primary use of mv from MetaCard's perspective was to support renaming files, and the capability to actually move them came as bonus.

One could write wrapper functions, one to move and another to rename, each checking whether filenames and paths are changed or not changed as expected, and checking for existence of files that can be overwritten with a parameter controlling whether it is ok to do it. These could be added to IDE as revMoveFile and revRenameFile and leave the original rename for the brave ones :)

Robert