Here is an example script that does a ping. The handler includes the
post-processing of the result, but you can just ignore that.

function checkPing pIP
   put "ping -c1 -n "  & pIP into tShellCmd
   put " > " & tFileName & " 2>&1 &" after tShellCmd

Thank you a lot Sarah. Your code let me discover the "wait .. with messages" which I have never been aware of (the old Hypercard practice?). This can actually do the job I am searching for. Also, your example raises two questions:

1.- Is there somewhere some documentation on synchronous/asynchronos parallel/threaded Transcript execution? I would like to learn about other such great features native in Transcript...

2.- I understand the shell command you wrote up to "ping -c1 -n 192.168.0.1" and even the "&" mandatory for executing the shell in a separate thread but I dont understand the "2>&1 &". Could you explain? Do you have a good MacOSX/Un*x tutorial on the shell commands?

Best to you,