Bob Warren wrote:
In my last post, I recommended a short article of simple, practical (layman's) advice for those considering the possibility of trying Linux (or my favourite, Ubuntu) and Rev/Linux 2.6.1 for the first time.

It has now been properly presented, and you can view it at the following URL if you are interested:

http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/installing_ubuntu_or_other_linuxes.htm

Thanks for that, Bob. One thing I love about Ubuntu, and which bodes well for its broad adoption, is that they have probably the easiest, most convenient, one-CD-image install I've seen. Your article makes it even easier. Good work.

There is one other simple piece of advice I would like to offer in addition to that given in the article. After downloading ISO files from Ubuntu or any other source, CHECK THE BYTE COUNT IS CORRECT before burning your CD or attempting to install.

Providing checksums seems a relatively common practice these days, but it raises a question: if a hacker can replace the download, what's to prevent them from also replacing the checksum string?

I've had a few customers from large organizations ask me to provide a checksum for WebMerge, and when I've asked them that question they've had no answer. Any insight into what I'm overlooking on this would be appreciated.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation