Don Jungk wrote:

 Hi Bob,
> OK, your PS file does have accented characters in it. It appears they are just > in the wrong place. This code that I will paste in here is something I use > when I have to re-encode a Macintosh font to work on my Linux computer. This > should be put after all of the original encoding because it is going to > change it.
Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:
<snip>

Wow. That's just...wow. The level of expertise on this list never ceases to amaze me.

And if that's your reaction, imagine mine! It's the first time I've even seen a
Postscript file.
OK Don, thanks very much. I'll sit down calmly and see if I can manage to
implement your suggestion, and when inevitably I have problems I'll get back to
you. Tell you what, I'll include the whole PS file that does NOT work below. I
did think of uploading it to my site, but in the end I decided that perhaps
other users could more easily benefit from your explanations with the file in
front of them. Perhaps some users will complain about the length of it, so I
apologise in advance.

Jacque:

Thanks for your further suggested experiments. I'll come back with the answers,
but it might take a little time because I have quite a lot of non-programming
work to do over the next few days.

THE FOLLOWING POSTSCRIPT FILE DOES NOT DISPLAY CORRECTLY USING THE EVINCE
UTILITY IN UBUNTU:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Creator: MetaCard 2.6.6
%%DocumentData: Clean8Bit
%%MCOrientation Portrait
%%BoundingBox: 72 72 540 720
%%EndComments
%%BeginProlog
       /isolatin1encoding [ /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /space /exclam
       /quotedbl /numbersign /dollar /percent /ampersand /quoteright
       /parenleft /parenright /asterisk /plus /comma /minus /period /slash
       /zero /one /two /three /four /five /six /seven /eight /nine /colon
       /semicolon /less /equal /greater /question /at /A /B /C /D /E /F /G /H
       /I /J /K /L /M /N /O /P /Q /R /S /T /U /V /W /X /Y /Z /bracketleft
       /backslash /bracketright /asciicircum /underscore /quoteleft /a /b /c
       /d /e /f /g /h /i /j /k /l /m /n /o /p /q /r /s /t /u /v /w /x /y /z
       /braceleft /bar /braceright /asciitilde /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /space /exclamdown /cent /sterling /currency /yen
       /brokenbar /section /dieresis /copyright /ordfeminine /guillemotleft
       /logicalnot /hyphen /registered /macron /degree /plusminus
       /twosuperior /threesuperior /acute /mu /paragraph /periodcentered
       /cedilla /onesuperior /ordmasculine /guillemotright /onequarter
       /onehalf /threequarters /questiondown /Agrave /Aacute /Acircumflex
       /Atilde /Adieresis /Aring /AE /Ccedilla /Egrave /Eacute /Ecircumflex
       /Edieresis /Igrave /Iacute /Icircumflex /Idieresis /Eth /Ntilde
       /Ograve /Oacute /Ocircumflex /Otilde /Odieresis /multiply /Oslash
       /Ugrave /Uacute /Ucircumflex /Udieresis /Yacute /Thorn /germandbls
       /agrave /aacute /acircumflex /atilde /adieresis /aring /ae /ccedilla
/egrave /eacute /ecircumflex /edieresis /igrave /iacute /icircumflex
       /idieresis /eth /ntilde /ograve /oacute /ocircumflex /otilde
       /odieresis /divide /oslash /ugrave /uacute /ucircumflex /udieresis
       /yacute /thorn /ydieresis ] def
/symbolencoding [ /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /space /exclam
       /universal /numbersign /existential /percent /ampersand /suchthat
       /parenleft /parenright /asteriskmath /plus /comma /minus /period
       /slash /zero /one /two /three /four /five /six /seven /eight /nine
       /colon /semicolon /less /equal /greater /question /congruent /Alpha
       /Beta /Chi /Delta /Epsilon /Phi /Gamma /Eta /Iota /theta1 /Kappa
       /Lambda /Mu /Nu /Omicron /Pi /Theta /Rho /Sigma /Tau /Upsilon /sigma1
       /Omega /Xi /Psi /Zeta /bracketleft /therefore /bracketright
       /perpendicular /underscore /radicalex /alpha /beta /chi /delta
       /epsilon /phi /gamma /eta /iota /phi1 /kappa /lambda /mu /nu /omicron
       /pi /theta /rho /sigma /tau /upsilon /omega1 /omega /xi /psi /zeta
       /braceleft /bar /braceright /similar /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
       /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /Upsilon1 /minute /lessequal /fraction
       /infinity /florin /club /diamond /heart /spade /arrowboth /arrowleft
       /arrowup /arrowright /arrowdown /degree /plusminus /second
       /greaterequal /multiply /proportional /partialdiff /bullet /divide
       /notequal /equivalence /approxequal /ellipsis /arrowvertex
       /arrowhorizex /carriagereturn /aleph /Ifraktur /Rfraktur /weierstrass
/circlemultiply /circleplus /emptyset /intersection /union
       /propersuperset /reflexsuperset /notsubset /propersubset /reflexsubset
       /element /notelement /angle /gradient /registerserif /copyrightserif
       /trademarkserif /product /radical /dotmath /logicalnot /logicaland
       /logicalor /arrowdblboth /arrowdblleft /arrowdblup /arrowdblright
       /arrowdbldown /lozenge /angleleft /registersans /copyrightsans
       /trademarksans /summation /parenlefttp /parenleftex /parenleftbt
       /bracketlefttp /bracketleftex /bracketleftbt /bracelefttp
       /braceleftmid /braceleftbt /braceex /apple /angleright /integral
       /integraltp /integralex /integralbt /parenrighttp /parenrightex
       /parenrightbt /bracketrighttp /bracketrightex /bracketrightbt
       /bracerighttp /bracerightmid /bracerightbt /.notdef ] def
%ReEncoding, for reencoding character set of a font family
       %It expects three objects(input) on the stack:
       %  [array] /NewName /OldName
       %The array should contain pairs of
       % <numbers> <name>
       /RE {%def
       findfont begin
       currentdict dup length dict begin
       { %forall
       1 index /FID ne {def} {pop pop} ifelse
       } forall
       /FontName exch def dup length 0 ne { %if
       /Encoding Encoding 256 array copy def
       0 exch { %forall
       dup type /nametype eq { %ifelse
       Encoding 2 index 2 index put
       pop 1 add
       } { %else
       exch pop
       } ifelse
       } forall
       } if pop
       currentdict dup end end
       /FontName get exch definefont pop
       } bind def
%usage: width height LLx LLy FR Fill-Rectangle
       /FR { %def
       gsave
       newpath
       moveto
       1 index 0 rlineto
       0 exch rlineto
       neg 0 rlineto
       closepath fill
       grestore
       } bind def
%usage: width height LLx LLy R Rectangle routine
       /R { %def
       gsave
       newpath
moveto 1 index 0 rlineto
       0 exch rlineto
       neg 0 rlineto
       closepath
       stroke
       grestore
       } bind def
%usage: topLeftx, topLefty, width, height, radius FRR
       /FRR { %def  (tlx tly w h r --)  Fill Rounded Rectangle
       gsave
       matrix currentmatrix
       newpath 6 1 roll 5 -2 roll translate
       dup 0 exch neg moveto
       mark 0 3 index neg 5 index 5 index neg 5 index arcto cleartomark
       mark 3 index 3 index neg 5 index 0 5 index arcto cleartomark
       mark 3 index 0 0 0 5 index arcto cleartomark
       mark 0 0 0 5 index neg 5 index arcto cleartomark
       closepath pop pop pop fill setmatrix
       grestore
       } bind def
%usage: topLeftx, topLefty, width, height, radius RR
       /RR { %def  (tlx tly w h r --)  Draw Rounded Rectangle
       gsave
       matrix currentmatrix
       newpath 6 1 roll 5 -2 roll translate
       dup 0 exch neg moveto
       mark 0 3 index neg 5 index 5 index neg 5 index arcto cleartomark
       mark 3 index 3 index neg 5 index 0 5 index arcto cleartomark
       mark 3 index 0 0 0 5 index arcto cleartomark
       mark 0 0 0 5 index neg 5 index arcto cleartomark
       closepath  pop pop pop  stroke setmatrix
       grestore
       } bind def
%usage: width height LLx LLy CLP set clipping rectangle /CLP { %def newpath moveto
       1 index 0 rlineto
       0 exch rlineto
       neg 0 rlineto
       closepath clip
       } bind def
%usage: tx ty fx fy L
       /L { %def
       gsave newpath
       moveto lineto stroke
       grestore
       } bind def
%usage: pn.x pn.y ... p1.x p1.y Count LS %%print a line w/points /LS { %def Draws connected line segments
       gsave newpath
       3 1 roll
       moveto
       {lineto} repeat stroke
       grestore
       } bind def
%usage: pn.x pn.y ... p1.x p1.y Count CLS %%print a line w/points /CLS { %def Draws connected line segments AND CLOSE path
       gsave newpath
       3 1 roll
       moveto
{lineto} repeat closepath
       stroke
       grestore
       } bind def
%usage: (Hello!) 72 512 T
       /T { %def
       gsave moveto show
       grestore
       } bind def
%parameters: # of char -1, ScreenTextWidth, string, x, y, AT(Ajusted Text)
       %usage: 120 8 (Hello!) 72 512 AT
       /AT { %def
       gsave moveto
       dup                        %duplicate a copy of the String
       4 1 roll                   %move one copy of string to the bottom of
stack
       stringwidth pop            %get PS string width and pop the Height
out(no need)
sub exch div 0 3 2 roll ashow
       grestore
       } bind def
%usage: 10 /Times-Roman setFont
       %if findfont command failed, we substitue with Helvetica default font
       %if findfont command does not failed, it may substitute the font
specified with
       %system own default, we want to replace it with Helvetica too.
       /setFont { %def
       dup
{ findfont } stopped { %execution stopped if can't find specified font
       pop pop /_Helvetica findfont exch scalefont setfont %replace with
Helvetica
       }
       { %found the font specified or replace with a system font
       dup                      %dup the font dictionary
4 1 roll /FontName get eq %compare font name with the font name specified
       {                    %if they are the same, go ahead and set the font
       scalefont setfont
       }
       {      %not the same, system substitued with a font, set our own font
       /_Helvetica findfont exch scalefont setfont pop
       }ifelse
       } ifelse
       } bind def
%usage: 10 /Times-Roman F
       /F { %def
       findfont exch scalefont setfont
       } bind def
%usage: radius startAngle arcAngle yScale centerX centerY FA %this routine fills an Arc
       /FA { %def
       gsave newpath
       translate 1 scale
       0 0 moveto
       0 0 5 2 roll arc
       closepath fill grestore
       } bind def
%usage: invyscale 0 0 radius starAngle arcAngle yScale centerX centerY DA %this routine draws and an Arc
       /DA { %def
       gsave newpath
       translate 1 scale
       arc 1 scale stroke grestore
       } bind def
/BeginEPSF { %def
       /b4_Inc_state save def
       /dict_count countdictstack def
       /op_count count 1 sub def
       userdict begin
       /showpage {} def
       /exitserver {} def
       /product (none) def
       /jobname (none) def
       /revision 1 def
       /version 1 def
       /languagelevel 1 def
       /serialnumber 1 def
       /manualfeedtimeout 0 def
       /setjobtimeout {pop} bind def
       /waittimeout 0  def
       /setdefaulttimeouts {pop pop pop} bind def
       /setrealdevice {pop pop} bind def
       /checkpassword {pop true} bind def
       /manualfeed false def
       0 setgray 0 setlinecap
       1 setlinewidth 0 setlinejoin
       10 setmiterlimit [] 0 setdash newpath
       /languagelevel where
       {pop languagelevel
       1 ne
       {false setstrokeadjust false setoverprint
       } if
       } if
       } bind def
/EndEPSF { %def
       count op_count sub {pop} repeat
       countdictstack dict_count sub {end} repeat
       b4_Inc_state restore
       } bind def
%usage: width, height, 8 rlecmapimage %un-RLE image, then convert colormap entries to RGB values
       /rlecmapimage {
       /buffer 1 string def
       /rgbval 3 string def
       /block 384 string def
       { currentfile buffer readhexstring pop
       /bcount exch 0 get store
       bcount 128 ge
       {
       0 1 bcount 128 sub
       { currentfile buffer readhexstring pop pop
       /rgbval cmap buffer 0 get 3 mul 3 getinterval store
       block exch 3 mul rgbval putinterval
       } for
       block 0 bcount 127 sub 3 mul getinterval
       }
       {
       currentfile buffer readhexstring pop pop
       /rgbval cmap buffer 0 get 3 mul 3 getinterval store
       0 1 bcount { block exch 3 mul rgbval putinterval} for
       block 0 bcount 1 add 3 mul getinterval
       } ifelse
       }
       false 3 colorimage
       } bind def
       %%EndProlog
%%Page: MC 1
1.3 setlinewidth
gsave
72 620 translate
1 1 scale
1.0 setgray
0.862745 0.862745 0.862745 setrgbcolor
100 100 0 0 FR
gsave
92 100 8 0 CLP
gsave
92 100 8 0 CLP
0.996109 0.996109 0.996109 setrgbcolor
9 1 142 1 L
142 1 142 99 L
10 2 141 2 L
141 2 141 98 L
0.67451 0.67451 0.67451 setrgbcolor
8 1 8 100 L
8 100 142 100 L
9 2 9 99 L
9 99 141 99 L
grestore
gsave
90 96 10 2 CLP
0.862745 0.862745 0.862745 setrgbcolor
90 96 10 2 FR
isolatin1encoding /_Helvetica /Helvetica RE
10 /_Helvetica setFont
0 0 0 setrgbcolor
9 47 (bom ar [1]) 12 90 AT
11 53 (bom-bril [1]) 12 77 AT
9 46 (15 72 (desinfetante [1]) 12 51 AT
14 73 (desodorante [1]) 12 38 AT
13 65 (detergente [1]) 12 25 AT
10 50 (esponja [1]) 12 12 AT
17 74 (grestore
gsave
92 100 8 0 CLP
grestore
gsave
92 100 8 0 CLP
grestore
grestore
gsave
92 32 8 68 CLP
gsave
92 32 8 68 CLP
grestore
gsave
92 32 8 68 CLP
isolatin1encoding /_Helvetica-Bold /Helvetica-Bold RE
18 /_Helvetica-Bold setFont
0 0 0 setrgbcolor
5 77 (MASTER) 37 78 AT
grestore