As I'm getting my app finished up, I've come up with a question about how exactly to update a stack from a server. The software will be loaded on a workstation initially and stackRunner will get the process going.

I'd like the app to check for newer versions on my server at startup. I've stored a custom property in each stack that has a version and a build number but it occurs to me that I can't get that information until I "start using" the stack. Once that's done, if I find (through a onPreOpenStack handler) that the server has a newer version, how can I download the newer version? Will I have to notify the user that a new version has been downloaded and require them to restart? Can I change a running stack (reload the updated version without reloading the OS cached version). Is there a better way to handle this before the stacks are ever opened (like encoding the version/build number into the filename of the stack? Should I just notify the user that there is a new version available and have them push a button to download it, then restart the program? I'd like to notify the user that a new version is being downloaded but don't want to require much more from them if at all possible.

Note that my app is spread across several stacks and I want this update ability in all of them but not have to download the entire set of stacks if only one of them has changed if I can avoid it.

If there is a tutorial available that already explains this, please point me to it.

Thanks!!

Len Morgan