Thanks Bill.  I'm definitely a Windows novice.

Yes, I'm running millions of colors and using ClearType, which makes things slightly less jagged, but still thin and gray compared to what should be.

I don't have the BootCamp partition as you suggest, but it makes sense to set things up as you describe. I just did the Parallels install and installed Windows under it.

I'm not sure why Explorer looks so funky... I know it's not as it should be, but I don't know why it's the way it is.

Mark