Phil,
LCDs got a bad reputation for speed ten years ago. They are much improved now. For instance modern LCD TVs are fast enough to display action scenes without blur. To see how much they have improved just move your mouse around the screen; you probably won't see any "submarining" at all. Of course there is some speed difference among screens - at the millisecond level. Would it work better, for your purposes, to have the test screen appear behind a blocking screen, then, instead of making the original screen appear, make the blocking screen disappear? Might be faster and more predictable.
Paul Looney

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: use-revolution@lists.runrev.com
Sent: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 5:19 PM
Subject: millisec test timings and screen refresh rate

I need some help here. My question is basically this: How do I accurately track or calculate the exact moment at which an image becomes visible on screen?

I have a client whose product is a psychological testing app, with a battery of canned tests included. I'm reimplementing it in RunRev, moving them away from SuperCard + a large handful of XCMDs. All the millisecond timing used to be done in the XCMDs, but now RunRev can do it natively, and on all platforms... wait, I don't need to sell you... sorry. ;o)

Some tests require the Rev app to track the millisecs elapsed from when an image is displayed on screen to when a user-initiated event occurs, like a keypress. This means RR needs to know as precisely as possible *when* the image became visible on screen.

(I can already hear some people shifting in their seats, muttering "duh! just show the image, unlock screen and put the millisecs into a variable!")

Is it that simple? I assume not. I need to figure out when the image became visible, not when I told it to become visible. I'll need to factor in screen refresh rate, whether testing is displayed on a CRT or on a laptop (the normal delivery medium). This also leads me to ask: Do laptop screens refresh the same way CRTs refresh? I doubt it.

How have you dealt with this in your RunRev experience? I bet *someone* has dealt with this before.

Thanks in advance for all responses. This list is so great!

Phil Davis