I have a problem writing to text files on OS X, and would like to determine if it is a defect in Revolution.

If I save a multi-line text file using vi (created pressing the return key), or if I do the following:

echo "line 1" > mytextfile.txt
echo "line 2" >> mytextfile.txt

then I can get a 'clean' text file (if I type 'more mytextfile.txt', there are no strange '^M' characters where there should be line endings).

However, no matter what I put as a line ending using Rev (2.7 or 2.8), I get the strange '^M' characters if I look at the file using either vi or the 'more' command). I tried using the 'file:' URL schema, and 'write to file'.

I've tried all the following as line-endings in Rev on OS X, but NONE gives a clean text file:

return
CRLF
numToChar(10)
numToChar(13)

The fact that they all display as '^M' when the text file is viewed using OS X command line utilities makes me think there is some weird character translation going on between Rev and the file system.

I did the same experiment using Rev 2.8 on Windows. When I viewed the file from a command window, then there were no extraneous '^M' characters in Windows. Furthermore, when I ftp-ed the files to OS X, there were no strange ^M characters. (I know that an Ascii FTP transfer between operating sytems will translate end of line characters).

If I look at a 'clean' text file on OS X (made e.g. with vi) Rev tells me (using charToNum) that the line-ending character is ASCII 10. Yet the documentation for Rev says "Different operating systems use different characters to mark the end of a line. Mac OS and OS X use a return character (ASCII 13), Unix systems use a linefeed character (ASCII 10)..."

After spending a couple of hours trying to work out what was going on, I finally decided to use binfile as the URL file type. Now, 'return', 'CRLF', numToChar(10) all produce a 'clean' file. NumToChar (13) as a line-ending in a binfile still produces '^M' in the final file.

Is this a bug?  It certainly seems inconsistent to me.

Bernard